Total Pageviews

Saturday 7 May 2016

168 hours in a week, If you could earn a living in 4 of those, what would you do with the rest?

The 4 hour work week is the title of a book by Tim Ferriss. The book talks, okay I believe it says, as I haven't read the book (not yet), I believe the book outlines a plan to condense your earnings (enough to survive) into 4 hours a week so that you can free up the rest of your life for things you would rather do.
Sounds fantastic, doesn't it?
I know I would love it. Imagine working only half a day each week. Now a lot of people when they hear 4 hour work week want to have a crack at Tim about the things he does in his week that look from the outside like work but are actually optional extras to his schedule. Projects that he has taken on which he enjoys. That's not what I want to do here. I want to brain storm what I would do with the other 164 hours in the week.
Imagine it, really imagine it. Most of us can't chase down these dreams because we never stop to think how amazing it could be. We all want to be happy, right? We all could be happier too. 164 hours a week to build that happiness. 
When you talk about being happy in our world you are considered to be a new age kind of person, maybe even accused of being some kind of hippie. Surely that reflects poorly on our society as a whole. We all have a list of things to do and then we will be happy or comfortable. The guy from Wallstreet the movie from the late 80's, I think, with Charlie Sheen. He tells the girl that he is going to make his fortune and retire at 30. After that he is going to ride a motorbike across China. He doesn't realise that he could work in any menial job and save hard for a year and take his trip across China. ( I borrowed that from Tim Ferriss who in turn borrowed it from another guy named Rolf Potts who wrote a book called Vagabonding). 
So, I have lost my way a little. I was going to write about what I would do with 164 free hours a week. Imagine clearly my ultimate life. 
I would still love to spend time working with food. Maybe spend some time writing recipes. Then each year or so, we don't want too many deadlines, put out a cookbook. 
I would still like to be spending time umpiring cricket matches at as high a level as I am capable. Travel, Travel, Travel. Go and get lost for months at a time. Do the overland from London to Sydney without ever boarding an aeroplane. Wander through Asia finding those awesome little places that cost almost nothing to stay at, but camp in your memory bank for the rest of your life. 
I have long had an interest in Primates (some, I think unkindly, think I look an ape). I would love to see Orangutans in their natural habitat. Wouldn't it be amazing. Hiding out in the Jungles of South East Asia with one of the Great Apes. 
Sorry folks time is up. I'll continue tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment