Total Pageviews

Monday 23 November 2020

Podcasts and Audiobooks I've been listening to lately

 


Yet again I sit down to add an entry to my secondary blog and think what am I going to write about? That's it Podcasts and audiobooks. More precisely, the podcasts that have been grabbing my attention and the ways that I listen to audiobooks. 



First things first. When my alarm destroys my hopes and dreams (well actually just my dreams) I struggle around to grab my mobile phone and my headphones, activate the headphones and go to my Audible account and listen to a book. I continue to listen whilst I get ready to leave for work and then on the 40 minute drive to work plus for the first half hour or so of work whilst I warm into my day. How long I listen is dependant on how many books I am listening to on that given day. I also listen on the almost hour long drive home and when doing a bit of tidying around the house and when I am cooking dinner of an evening. All that adds up to quite a bit of listening time and gives me a lot more listening than I could ever hoped to have achieved when it comes to sitting down and reading. Does that last sentence make sense? Summary Listening lots, reading a little.



Yes I still read but this is more of a substitute for radio which is not great between 20 to 6 and quarter past six on a weekday morning. At the moment I have 3 books that I am reading but I usually only get to them 3 or so days a week. Got to make more of an effort.

So, let's start with audiobooks. Plenty of people are sceptics when it comes to audiobooks but if you get a book of interest it can be just as good an experience and turning the pages yourself. I have been a member of audible since 2016 and according to my account I have 94 titles to my name. It costs me $15 a month and that includes 1 book a month and a free book which audible makes available to all readers each month. They also have podcasts and other free stuff but I already have too many things to listen to on other apps. Having said that I did really enjoy the podcast by Marc Fennell called It Burns which is about the contest for the world's hottest chilli. Well worth a listen. I also listen to audiobooks for free on my local library's app "Libby" which has the great advantage of being completely free. They have an every growing list of titles and some great reads.


Podcasts. I listen to podcasts through Ipodcasts and Spotify. Hoping to add my own soon to be created podcast to the list. Podcasts are free and another great modern substitute for radio. 



Alright lets get to the nitty gritty. What do I recommend? What are my favourites? Should I make them top 10s? Yeah, why not?



Okay my top ten oops, make it 15 audiobooks in any order and on which platform did I listen.

  1. The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin Audible
  2. Born to Run by Christopher McDougall Audible
  3. Salt, Fat, Acid Heat by Samin Nosrat Audible  
  4. Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Collection by Arthur Conan Doyle Audible
  5. Working Class Boy by Jimmy Barnes Audible
  6. Legacy by James Kerr Audible
  7. Vagabonding by Rolf Potts Audible
  8. The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card Libby
  9. The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff Libby
  10. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Libby
  11. The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger Libby
  12. The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict Libby
  13. The Strange Case Of The Alchemist's Daughter by Theodora Goss
  14. Down Under by Bill Bryson Libby
  15. Finding Gobi by Dion Leonard Libby    
And now on to Podcasts. Do I dare to say top ten? We will see. 
  1. Christopher Kimball's Milk Street Radio 
  2. Kurt Fernley's Tiny Island 
  3. Rabbitohs Radio Podcast 
  4. Oh My Codcast
  5. The Bangkok Podcast
  6. The Sporkful
  7. The Tim Ferriss Show
  8. Meat : The Ultimate Podcast
  9. The Howie Games with Mark Howard
  10. Heston's Journey to the Centre of food

and an honourable mention to the Tune up Podcast by an old mate of mine from school Joel Curtis. 


Well that just about does it. Hope you can find you next read or listen in amongst this lot. If you have any recommendations for me please feel free to leave a comment. Happy listening!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment